This is an exciting opportunity to join our "Tight Knit" Community.
The Handwork Studio's summer camp programs are uniquely fun, creative and educational. It is a place where we believe children learn by making!
In order to do this, we are looking for the needle in the haystack, the magical unicorn, the ultimate teacher and crafter!
Read below to see if this position is the right fit for you.
Objective: To lead, manage and ensure the safety well-being of campers, Specialty Counselor(s), Junior Counselor(s), Counselor in Training, (if applicable) within your respective program. The Lead Counselor also assists the Site Director in the management and operations of The Handwork Studio Summer Camp at your defined location(s).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Site Director to operate your designated camp location(s)
- Teach class by following The Handwork Studio curriculum and method
- Assist in ensuring all staff are adhering to The Handwork Studio mission and values
- Report all staffing related issues to the Site Director
- Report supply needs to the Site Director and oversee proper use of materials to reduce waste and duplicate orders
- Manage and report changes and additions to class enrollment to Site Director
- Participate in set-up and break-down of your designated site(s). (Depending on
region, you may need to set up and break down multiple times throughout the course of your summer employment.)
- Participate in all required training
- Know the whereabouts of campers at all times
- Ensure safety and well-being of children at all times
- Complete evaluations and participate in evaluating as needed
- Bountiful energy to sit, stand, sing, and stitch throughout the day
- Classroom management and teaching skills
- A passion for crafting
- Crafting skill level: Competent crafter in any of the following needle arts but not limited to hand and machine sewing, knitting, crocheting, weaving, etc.
- Keeps workspace organized and tidy
- Interpersonal communication skills for working with counselors and children
- Nurturing and compassionate with a sense of humor
- Completed Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 1+ years leadership experience
- 3+ years of experience working with children preferably through summer camp experience
- Must have reliable transportation to arrive to shift on time
- Available to complete approximately 15-20 hours of pre-camp training (generally the month of May)
- Available to attend one of our Summer Orientations: June 8th in Rosemont, PA (outside of Philadelphia) or in Washington, DC, or June 14th in Basking Ridge, NJ.
- Ability to lift and carry 35 lbs, such as sewing machines, fabric bolts, trunks of materials, etc.
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Maintained mental and physical alertness
- Required to wear The Handwork Studio apron during work hours. Apron is provided by The Handwork Studio
- All other duties as assigned
- Follow The Handwork Studio rules and regulations
- Represent The Handwork Studio according to its missions and goals