Miss Laura Here! We are having a great week at the American Camp Association Tri-State Conference in Atlantic City this week. We are honored once again to teach a class to our peers in the industry. I’m here with Miss Megan, Miss Amanda and Miss Meredith (Miss Julia is enjoying her last week of maternity leave with her new son Asher!) This year we are teaching Creating Camp Spirit Through Crafting. The purpose of the session is to make a team spirit scarf (see directions here) and to find some fun uses for those old camp tee shirts which keep campers connected all year long.
Below are some links to the projects we discussed in class:
- Project Ideas:
- Joanne’s Fabric - You can locate great prices for Black Friday Sales
- Gaffney’s Fabric, Philadelphia – They Ship. Ask for Kate
- Clover Needle Arts (knitting needles, crochet hooks, sewing needles, wonder knitters) – Call to set up an education account.
- Janome Sewing Machines – Gary at Eagle Enersave, tell him Laura sent you from The Handwork Studio, http://www.ceilingfansdelawarecountypa.com
- The National Needle Arts Mentoring Program (Helping Hands Foundation): HHF provides publicity, documents, start-up supplies, how-to books and an official Leadership Guide for after-school programs, scout groups or other youth groups that establish a NAMP locally.
- Craft Yarn Council: A source for teaching knitting and crochet, charity programs, free patterns and ideas.
- The Handwork Studio YouTube Channel: For project ideas and how to instruction for kids!
If you are interested in bringing The Handwork Studio to your camp you can learn more here.
Update: Here are some pictures of the awesome spirit scarves that were made at the session!